19th June, 2022
The Summer of 2022 will see a prestigious event come to Birmingham. A consortium of West Midlands Clubs will host a UK round of the City Race Euro Tour, with a weekend of quality Orienteering culminating in the first Urban race around Birmingham City Centre. Oh, and the Commonwealth Games is coming to town too.
Birmingham is England’s second city and situated right at the heart of the country. It has reinvented itself many times, creating a diverse city with notable buildings from its time as the “workshop of the world” in the Industrial Revolution through to the new Library of Birmingham and the glittering Selfridges building. 18th century canals are now lined with cafes and bars, and the famous Jewellery Quarter combines traditional manufacturing with a lively social and residential scene.
All of this makes for a challenging, varied and scenic Urban Orienteering venue which will also form part of the UK Urban League.
So put the date in your diary and check back here later in the year for more details.
• By air – Birmingham airport is served by a number of both low-cost and regular airlines and there is a frequent, fast train service to the city centre.
• By rail – there are direct mainline connections to London and other major U.K. cities.
• By road – the U.K. motorway network leads almost to the heart of the city.
• Plentiful accommodation with a wide range of options.
• Cultural venues from the Symphony Hall & Town Hall, Birmingham Rep & Hippodrome theatres to the Custard Factory.
• Museums range from Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery with its pre-Raphaelite masterpieces to the newly restored Coffin Works.
• Bullring Shopping Centre, Indoor markets, Cadbury World, National Sea Life Centre.
• Food and drink from the Balti Triangle to Michelin star restaurants and cosy pubs.